178 Family Medicine Grand Rounds: " Arts and Poetry in the Clinic " (122121)
Residents and faculty currently are unable to participate in grand rounds held by other departments due to time constraints and topics are not applicable to primary care practice. The goal of this activity is to meet the needs of our residents (scholarly activity), faculty and involve community physicians to discuss and present what is relevant to primary care and gain experience about latest trends that are applicable to day-to-day practice. This activity will give the opportunity to residents, faculty and community physicians to have a forum for information exchange and disseminate their research. Grand Rounds at UTSW will allow community physicians to earn their CME credits to meet the requirements of ABFM and TMB. We will have experts available as panelists for discussion to fill in the gaps where guidelines are not clear.
UT Southwestern faculty, fellows, residents and medical students, community physicians, and other interested health care professionals at UTSW.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the most common causes and identify different types of pain. Describe pathophysiology of pain. Identify pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies and their efficacy based on available evidence.
- Review basics on the manufacturing of sugar substitutes and their safety, including high fructose corn syrup, agave, sucralose, etc.
- Diagnose, evaluate and manage patients with elevated liver enzymes. Identify signs and symptoms of liver disease, when to intervene and when to refer.
- Recognize, evaluate and manage depression in HIV patients. Identify the long term effects of social marginalization in HIV and high occurrence of psychosocial health problems.
- Discuss and highlight reasons for Physician Burnout, identify changes we can make to reduce physician burnout and how wellness can be incorporated in busy physician practice and residency programs.
- Discuss and highlight some of the most common medical causes of airline emergencies, highlight resources available at 30,000 feet (inflight and ground consult options), discuss obligations and liabilities involved in responding to inflight emergencies. Discuss ethical dilemma, obligations and liabilities involved in responding to inflight emergencies.
- Discuss safety, efficacy and adverse effects of workout supplements including preworkout and postworkout supplements. Explain benefits/adverse effects of anabolic steroids.
Identify which patients to screen, evaluate and treat for osteoporosis.
- Discuss management options and choice of agent for treatment of osteoporosis. Identify contraindications and special populations. Discuss monitoring of response and drug holiday. Identify novel agents in the future.
- Discuss how much of a pandemic childhood obesity is, how it is affecting physical and mental health of children and what can primary doctors do.
- 1.00 AMA
- 1.00 Attendance