178 Family Medicine Grand Rounds: "HIV in Primary Care" (052317)
Residents and faculty currently are unable to participate in grand rounds held by other departments due to time constraints and topics not applicable to primary care practice. The goal of this activity is to meet the needs of our residents, faculty and hopefully involve community physicians to discuss and present what is relevant to primary care and gain experience about latest trends that are applicable to day-to-day practice. This activity will give the opportunity to residents, faculty and community physicians to have a forum for information exchange and disseminate their research. Grand rounds at UT Southwestern will allow community physicians to earn their CME credits to meet the requirements of ABFM and TMB.
UT Southwestern faculty, fellows, residents and medical students, community physicians, and other interested health care professionals at UTSW.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Identify patients with symptoms of concussion especially after sports activity - order appropriate diagnostic tests when indicated; improve patient outcomes and proper and timely referral if needed.
- Recognize the most common dental conditions and how to manage it before patient can see his or her dentist. Integrate judicious use of antibiotics and educate regarding proper referral.
- Recognize importance of managing pain in non cancer patients. Integrate judicious use of Narcotic medications
- Evaluate, diagnose and manage patients with Parkinsons disease. Identify signs and symptoms of Parkinsons disease. Assess when to intervene and when to refer.
- Recognize, evaluate and manage neck mass in children and adults in a time fashion without any delay.
- Describe travel medicine in detail and what primary care doctors need to to know when managing patient with recent travel history.
- Explain how integrative medicine might help us manage patients in a multidisciplinary approach using alternative evidence based medicine.
- Describe how to appropriately diagnose and screen for somatic symptom disorders.
- Recognize importance of incorporating wellness in primary care practice
- Apply algorithms for correctly evaluating and treating syncope and dizziness both in the inpatient and outpatient setting
- 1.00 AMA
- 1.00 Attendance