Madhuri Vusirikala, M.D.
OMB No. 0925-0001 and 0925-0002 (Rev. 09/17 Approved Through 03/31/2020)
EDUCATION/TRAINING (Begin with baccalaureate or other initial professional education, such as nursing, include postdoctoral training and residency training if applicable. Add/delete rows as necessary.)
INSTITUTION AND LOCATION
FIELD OF STUDY
Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
State University of New York, Syracuse
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Bone Marrow Transplant
I am a hematologist-oncologist with special interest in malignant hematology and stem cell transplantation. My research interests are primarily in the field of stem cell transplantation, focusing on issues such as supportive care during and after transplant, reducing and managing graft-versus-host-disease. My clinical interests are along the lines of my research interest as a result of which I run the chronic graft-versus-host-disease clinic at our program. I have several clinical trials focused on improving this issue.
The second clinical interest I have is in the management of hematologic diseases in AYA population (aplastic anemia, acute lymphoblastic leukemia) and manage the clinical trials portfolio for ALL at our center.
My extensive training as well as my experience with clinical trials in hematologic malignancies qualifies me well to be Co-PI for this research project.B. Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
2000-2006 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
2006-2008 Assistant Professor of Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
2008-2015 Associate Professor of Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
2015-present Professor of Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
2010- Member, American Society of Bone Marrow Transplant
2011- Member, Texas Medical Association and Dallas County Medical SocietyC. Contribution to Science
- Vusirikala M, Wolff SN, Stein RS, Brandt SJ, Morgan DS, Greer JP, Schuening FG, Dummer JS, Goodman SA. Valacyclovir for the prevention of cytomegalovirus infection after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: a single institution retrospective cohort analysis. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2001 Aug;28(3):265-70.
- Sutton L, Vusirikala M, Chen W. Hematogone Hyperplasia in Copper Deficiency. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009 Aug;132(2):191-9.
- Naina HV, Levitt D, Vusirikala M, Anderson LD Jr, Scaglioni PP, Kirk A, Collins RH Jr. Successful treatment of relapsed and refractory extramedullary acute promyelocytic leukemia with tamibarotene. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Apr 11.
- Brown, T. J., Gentry, C., Hammer, S. T. G., Hwang, C. S., Vusirikala, M., Patel, P. A., … Collins, R. H. (2017). Novel Application of Extracorporeal Photopheresis as Treatment of Graft-versus-Host Disease Following Liver Transplantation. ACG Case Reports Journal, 4, e48.
- Robert J. Soiffer, Haesook T. Kim, Joseph McGuirk, Mitchell E. Horwitz, Laura Johnston, Mrinal M. Patnaik, Witold Rybka, Andrew Artz, David L. Porter, Thomas C. Shea, Michael W. Boyer, Richard T. Maziarz, Paul J. Shaughnessy, Usama Gergis, Hana Safah, Ran Reshef, John F. DiPersio, Patrick J. Stiff, Madhuri Vusirikala, Jeff Szer, Jennifer Holter, James D. Levine, Paul J. Martin, Joseph A. Pidala, Ian D. Lewis, Vincent T. Ho, Edwin P. Alyea, Jerome Ritz, Frank Glavin, Peter Westervelt, Madan H. Jagasia, and Yi-Bin Chen. Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind, Phase III Clinical Trial of Anti–T-Lymphocyte Globulin to Assess Impact on Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease–Free Survival in Patients Undergoing HLA-Matched Unrelated Myeloablative Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Oct 17.
- , , , , , , , , , , , , , , Panobinostat Monotherapy And Combination Therapy In Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Results From Two Clinical Trials. Haematologica. 2017 Oct 19.
- Tumati V, Trivedi L, Li HC, Patel P, Scaglioni PP, Vusirikala M, Sadeghi N, Rizvi S, Chen W, Wachsmann J, Collins R Jr, Desai NB. Patterns of Failure in Patients With Double Hit or Double Expressor Lymphomas: Implications for Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Apr 1;100(5):1126-1132
Leukemia Texas 2014-2015
The Feasibility and Acceptability of Incorporating Electronic Assessment Tools during Outpatient Visits for Patients in the Maintenance Phase of Therapy for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
No financial relationships have been disclosed.