EM1605I "End of Life Care in the ICU" (IM GR-051316)
The goal of this talk is to provide a broad overview of end of life care in the intensive care unit (ICU). The presentation will focus on both the challenges and what is the best practice for end of life care in the ICU.
UT Southwestern faculty, fellows, residents and medical students, community physicians, nurse clinicians, physician assistants and nurses.
At the conclusion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the epidemiology of end of life care in the ICU.
- Review the different challenges in end of life care in the ICU.
- Discuss the role of palliative care in the ICU.
- Describe currently recommended best practice guidelines regarding end of life care in the ICU.
- Explain what current methods are utilized at the University of Texas Southwestern regarding end of life care training
David Finklea, Jr., M.D.
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- 1.00 AMA