EM1811H "I Chart, You Chart, We All Chart for MyChart: Managing the Electronic Patient Portal in Clinical Practice" (IM GR-111618)
This presentation will review patient portal function and impact on clinical practice. Focusing on portal use in oncology practice, topics include patient and provider preferences, workflow considerations, patient safety and satisfaction, disparities in portal use and access, effect on staff productivity and satisfaction, and the incorporation of mobile technology.
UT Southwestern faculty, fellows, residents and medical students, community physicians, nurse clinicians, physician assistants and nurses.
At the conclusion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Explain the functions and intended goals of patient portals
- List the federal regulations encouraging use of patient portals
- Describe the “digital divide” and how it affects portal use
- Describe patient and provider preferences regarding portal use
- List challenges posed by patient portals in oncology practice and other medical settings
David Gerber, M.D.
Professor, Departments of Internal Medicine and Clinical Sciences
Associate Director for Clinical Research Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
Division of Hematology/Oncology
- 1.00 AMA