Seizure and Epilepsy: Update on Current Therapies for Medically Intractable Epilepsy (RP1509I)
Approximately 1/3 of patients who suffer epilepsy will become medically intractable. For these patients, the range of treatment options now includes a technique for electrode implantation and seizure localization (stereo EEG) that is being introduced to North America after years of development in Europe. Also, the NeuroPace responsive stimulation system has recently won FDA approval. The Visualase laser system has also recently been introduced for surgical indications and is being applied for epilepsy therapy. Along with vagal nerve stimulation, these three options now complement existing surgical strategies.
This program is designed for Physicians, Internists, APNs, NPs, PAs, Nurses, and other healthcare providers interested in treatment options for medical intractable epilepsy.
- Apply Stereo EEG techniques appropriately after identifying suitable patient candidates for this treatment.
- Evaluate indications for the use of NeuroPace treatment.
- Differentiate when patients may benefit from laser-based methods.
- Discuss appropriate usage and applications for laser-based methods.
- Recognize the need to weigh both ethical criteria and economic conditions when deciding on the appropriate treatment options for patients.
Bruce Mickey, MD
William Kemp Clark Chair of Neurological Surgery
Department of Neurological Surgery, Otolarynogoly, Radiation Oncology
Bradley Lega, MD
Department of Neurological Surgery, Neurology & Neurotherapeutics, Psychiatry
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Accreditation and Designation Statements
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians
- Create an account by selecting the "register" link at the bottom of the page or "log-in" to your existing account.
- Return to this course page, select the designated fee and click on "add to cart" at the bottom of the page.
- In the following "checkout" pages you will verify and process your payment.
- After registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent by email.
- 4.00 AMA
- 4.00 Attendance
- 1.00 Ethics