2020 Bass Neurosurgery Symposium: Challenges in Neuro-Oncology (RP2003D)
The field of neuro-oncology is undergoing rapid evolution. Significant advancements have been made in both the clinical and research arenas. The 2020 Bass Neurosurgery Symposium will provide an update on the clinical and research advancements in this field, providing participants with comprehensive knowledge of the current state-of-the art in neuro-oncology. After attending this Symposium, we expect that all participants will have enhanced knowledge regarding the current state-of-the-art treatments in neuro-oncology and be able to apply this knowledge to their clinical practice.
Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists, Nurse Practitioners, Neuroradiologists, Neuropathologists, Nurses, Physical/Occupational/Speech Therapists, and other healthcare workers interested in Neuro-Oncology.
- Describe the role of immunotherapy in brain tumor patients
- Describe the current state-of-the-art with respect to glioma metabolism
- Evaluate the potential for AI to improve outcomes for brain tumor patients, via improvements in imaging analysis
- Assess the current best practice guidelines for the management of brain metastases
- Increase awareness of interventions that may improve quality of life for brain tumor patients/survivors
- Describe the process of designing clinical trials in neuro-oncology
Friday, March 6, 2020
Dinner and Keynote Address (included with registration fee):
2101 Ross Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75201
7:15-7:25pm Welcome and Introductions
8:15-8:45pm Special Discussion
8:45-9:00pm Closing Remarks
Saturday, March 7, 2020
Symposium with Speakers
UT Southwestern Medical Center - T. Boone Pickens Auditorium
6001 Forest Park Road
Dallas, Texas 75235
8:00 – 8:30 am Registration, Breakfast and Exhibits
8:20 – 8:30 am Introduction - Toral Patel, M.D.
8:30 – 9:15 am Understanding Glioma Metabolism in the Context of Preclinical Modeling - Elizabeth Maher, M.D., Ph.D.
9:15 – 10:00 am Radiosurgery for Brain Metastases - Robert Timmerman, M.D.
10:00 – 10:15 am Break and Exhibits
10:15 – 11:00 am Approaches to Brain Tumor Immunotherapy - Tomas Garzon-Muvdi, M.D.
11:00 – 11:45 am Panel Discussion: Clinical Trial Design in Neuro-Oncology
11:45 – 12:45 pm Lunch and Exhibits
12:45 – 1:30 pm New Therapeutic Strategies for IDH Mutant Glioma - Sam McBrayer, Ph.D.
1:30 – 2:15 pm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Applications in Neuro-Oncology - Joseph Maldjian, M.D.
2:15 – 3:00 pm Survivorship Concerns for Individuals Living with Brain Cancer - Ashley Sumrall, M.D.
3:00 pm Closing Remarks - Babu Welch, M.D.
Babu G. Welch, M.D.
Duke Samson Chair in Neurological Surgery
Professor of Neurosurgery and Radiology
Medical Director of the Neurological Surgery Clinic
Co-Director of the Paul M. Bass Center for Neurosurgical Innovation
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Toral R. Patel, M.D.
Assistant Professor Departments of Neurological Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Neurology and Neurotherapeutics
UT Southwestern Medical Center
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates this educational activity for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is an approved provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Texas Nurses Association an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This activity provides 5.0 contact hours.
- 5.50 AMA
- 5.50 Attendance
- Create an account in EthosCE, online learning management system, by selecting the "create an account" link at the bottom of the page or "log-in" to your existing account.
- Return to this course page, select the designated fee and click on "add to cart"
- In the following "checkout" pages you will verify and process your payment.
- After registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent by email.
A $25 handling fee will be deducted from cancellation refunds. Refund requests must be received by email at email@example.com by February 15, 2020. No refunds will be made thereafter.