Point-of-Care Ultrasound Workshop (RP2304B)
The widespread availability of portable ultrasound machines has provided physicians and allied health professionals with the opportunity to utilize point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) at the patient’s bedside as a non-invasive examination tool. The use of POCUS can augment physical examination and allow practitioners to rapidly diagnose specific conditions and guide interventions. The hands-on, daylong simulation course is designed to review the basics of ultrasound through a series of lectures and hands-on practice in techniques utilizing point-of-care ultrasound for the evaluation of cardiac, pulmonary, abdominal and vascular conditions.
THIS ACTIVITY IS INTENDED FOR PROVIDERS IN THE SPECIALTIES OF:
- Critical Care Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Review the physics of ultrasound imaging.
- Utilize ultrasound physics to improve point-of-care ultrasound imaging.
- Utilize point-of-care cardiac imaging to evaluate cardiac function and make specific diagnoses.
- Utilize point-of-care pulmonary imaging to diagnose and exclude specific lung conditions.
- Utilize point-of-care abdominal imaging to evaluate the acute abdomen.
- Utilize point-of-care vascular imaging to detect deep venous thrombosis.
- Integrate point-of-care imaging to augment physical examination and improve management.
Full program coming soon!
- The Physics of Ultrasound
- Cardiovascular Ultrasound
- Pulmonary Ultrasound
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Vascular Ultrasound
Hands-on Skills Stations:
- Cardiac: Parasternal Long
- Cardiac: Parasternal Short
- Cardiac: Apical 4
- Cardiac: Subcostal 4
- Cardiac: IVC
- Cardiac: Focus on the Right Heart
- Lung: A-lines and B-lines
- Lung: Effusions and Interventional
- Abdomen: The FAST Exam
Emily Gundert, M.D.
Hooman Heravi, MD
Ravi Joshi, Medical Doctor (M.D.) , Fellow of the American Society of Echocardiography (FASE)
Jake Rice, MD
Mohammad-Ali Shaikh, MD
Andrew Tomlinson, MD
Ashley Yager, M.D.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 6.00 AMA
- 6.00 Attendance
Early Bird (Ending 3/31)
Regular (Beginning 4/1)
Advanced Practice Providers
Invited UTSW Trainees
- Login to your existing account or create an account in EthosCE, online learning management system, by selecting the "create an account" link.
- Once logged in, return to this course page, select the designated fee and click the "add to cart" button.
- In the following "checkout" pages you will verify and process your payment.
- After registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent by email.