Santé Center for Healing - Maintaining Proper Boundaries (JS2111A-051221)
In a society of more sensitive power differentials and a broader definition of boundary violations, impacted constituents - patients, hospital corporations and Medical Boards - no longer accept inappropriate behaviors by physicians or other healthcare providers. "Maintaining Proper Boundaries," is a 3-day training course (offered quarterly) providing self-assessment, knowledge, awareness, skills, applicable tools and prevention strategies to healthcare professionals with difficulty maintaining proper boundaries with patients, colleagues and/or staff. The "Maintaining Proper Boundaries" faculty is a mixture of tenured mental health clinicians and seasoned medical experts who create and encourage a course environment conducive to open discussions, sharing personal experiences and identifying next best steps for protecting physicians, their work environment and patients. The course utilizes a variety of lectures, multi-media inter-actives, and self-reflection (worksheets, presentation, and homework) to provide education, illumination and/or intervention that could save a license or a life.
- Identify the types of unethical behaviors and boundary violations that result in litigation, difficulty with the medical boards and/or hospital corporations, or action by other licensure boards
- Discern behaviors and situations where the healthcare professional is most vulnerable to inappropriate involvement with patients, colleagues and/or staff members.
- Recognize and develop strategies to avoid high risk situations and ethical dilemmas that leave the professional vulnerable to crossing boundaries.
- Recognize high risk patients and identify how to avoid problematic situations with them.
- Identify methods to safeguard the hospital, the office and other treatment settings.
- Discuss the ethical and legal obligations for reporting and/or intervening on boundary violations of a colleague.
- View and utilize Physician’s Health Program as an advocate.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and the Santé Center for Healing.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 21 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates the presentations, “Choosing Civility - A Discussion of Disruptive Behavior”, “Ethics and Boundaries”, and “Traveling the Road Out of Here: Re-entry into Practice” for a total of 5.5 hour(s) in medical ethics and/ or professional responsibility.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center certifies that non-physicians will receive an attendance certificate stating that they participated in the activity that was designated for 21 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 21.00 AMA
- 21.00 Attendance
- 5.50 Ethics
select the "Take Course" button to complete the course evaluation and to retrieve your certificate.
If you do not see the "Take Course" button, login to your EthosCE account or create an account using the email address used during the course registration or activity sign-in*. A profile can be created at the following link:
In order to access the course to retrieve a CME certificate the email provided at activity sign-in* must match the email in your EthosCE profile. If you provided an email different from your EthosCE profile please contact the CME office at email@example.com. If you have not already created a profile in EthosCE, please create one using the same email provided during the course registration or activity sign-in*.
*Course administrators may have retrieved the email address from the course registration, the organization directory or during the course/activity sign-in.