What's New in GI 2020 (RP2002E)
This program is designed to provide attendees current information on how to recognize symptoms and use current data to establish diagnosis and formulate the appropriate treatment plans for the management of gastrointestinal diseases. Several topics will be presented at a live, one day symposium through lectures and question and answer sessions by experts in the field of gastroenterology. This course is designed for gastroenterologists, GI surgeons, internists, family practice physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and nurses with an interest in gastroenterology.
Click here to view the full program brochure/agenda
Click here to view exhibitor prospectus
This activity is intended for providers in the specialties of:
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Family Practice
- Internal Medicine
- Surgery - Colon and Rectal
- Surgery - Oncology
Educational opportunities for the health care team!
Participants can earn 6.0 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program.
This activity is approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is an approved provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Texas Nurses Association an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This activity provides 6.25 contact hour(s).
- Apply the new goals of 'treat to target' for management of patients with IBD. Describe symptoms and care for patients with complex IBD.
- Identify the etiology of diarrhea caused by medications and commonly ingested foods.
- Distinguish between the types of commonly seen pancreatic cysts, understand which cysts need surveillance, and when surgical intervention should be considered.
- Discuss how to reduce risk of cancer in Barrett's esophagus, premalignant conditions of the pancreas, and for patients with a family history of cancer or inherited genetic syndrome.
- Explain the indications, uses, and contraindications for novel treatments in upper and lower GI bleeding.
- Describe the different types of bariatric surgery and endoscopic treatments for weight loss.
- Explain the potential complications and nutrition issues that can occur with bariatric surgery.
Full-time UTSW Faculty and Fellows Only - Complimentary
Physicians and General Registration - $175
NP and PA - $75
Nurses - $50
Registration and Breakfast
Kerry Dunbar, M.D., Ph.D.,
Session 1 - Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Therapeutic Targets and Endpoints in IBD Care
David Fudman, M.D.
Tasneem Ahmed, D.O.
Complicated Cases in IBD
Tasneem Ahmed, D.O.,
Session 2 - Diet, Diarrhea, and Drugs
Functional Diarrhea – Causes and Management
Roopa Vemulapalli, M.D.
Pharmacological Therapies in GI Motility Disorders
Rozina Mithani, M.D.
Diet and GI Disorders
Neha Patel, M.D.
Session 3 - State of the Art/Keynote speaker
Surveillance and Management of Pancreatic Cysts
Grace H. Elta, M.D.
University of Michigan Gastroenterology
Session 4 - Cancer Prevention in GI
Cancer Prevention in Barrett’s Esophagus
Dutch S. Vanderveldt, M.D.
Controversies in Colon Cancer Screening
Divya Bhatt, M.D.
Genetics and Cancer Prevention
Sara Pirzadeh-Miller, M.S., CGC
Session 5 - Potpourri of GI Topics
Tricks for GI Bleeding
Balaji Ayyar, M.D.,
Weight Loss Therapies
Bariatric Surgery Pearls – Criteria, Options, Complications
Sara Hennessy, M.D.
Endoscopic Management of the Bariatric Patient
Anna Tavakkoli, M.D.
Click here to view the full program brochure
Parking: The parking garage is located adjacent to the T. Boone Pickens Biomedical Building. The garage entrance is to the right of the front building entrance. Use elevator to third floor and follow direction signs to the conference room.
Program accessibility: We accommodate people with disabilities. Please call 214-648-2166 for more information. To ensure accommodation, please register as soon as possible.
Kerry Dunbar, M.D., Ph.D.
Section Chief, Dallas VA Medical Center
Department of Internal Medicine
Neha Patel, M.D.
Department of Internal Medicine
Ezra Burstein, MD, PhD
Kerry Dunbar, MD, PhD
Neha Patel, MD
Luke Engelking, MD, PhD
Balaji Ayyar, M.D.
Divya Bhatt, MD
Grace Elta, MD
Sara Hennessy, MD
Sara Pirzadeh-Miller, M.S. CGC
Hendrikus Vanderveldt, MD, MBA
Roopa Vemulapalli, MD
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximumof 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Participants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Maintenance of Certification (MOC):
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 6.0 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Continuing Nursing Education:
UT Southwestern Medical Center is an approved provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Texas Nurses Association an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
This activity provides 6.25 contact hour(s).
- 6.00 AMA
- 6.00 Attendance
ONLINE REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED. LIMITED ONSITE REGISTRATION WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE
- Create an account in EthosCE, online learning management system, by selecting the "create an account" link at the bottom of the page or "log-in" to your existing account.
- Return to this course page, click "Register" tab, and select the designated fee.
- In the following "checkout" pages you will verify and process your payment.
- After registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent by email.
A $25 handling fee will be deducted from cancellation refunds. Refund requests must be received by email at email@example.com by January 24, 2020. No refunds will be made thereafter.