What's New in GI 2020 (RP2002E)
This program is designed to provide attendees current information on how to recognize symptoms and use current data to establish diagnosis and formulate the appropriate treatment plans for the management of gastrointestinal diseases. Several topics will be presented at a live, one day symposium through lectures and question and answer sessions by experts in the field of gastroenterology. This course is designed for gastroenterologists, GI surgeons, internists, family practice physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and nurses with an interest in gastroenterology and hepatology.
THIS ACTIVITY IS INTENDED FOR PROVIDERS IN THE SPECIALTIES OF:
Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Surgery - Colon and Rectal
Surgery - Oncology
- Apply the new goals of 'treat to target' for management of patients with IBD. Describe symptoms and care for patients with complex IBD.
- Identify the etiology of diarrhea cause by medications and commonly ingested foods.
- Distinguish between the types of commonly seen pancreatic cysts, understand which cysts need surveillance, and when surgical intervention should be considered.
- Discuss how to reduce risk of cancer in Barrett's esophagus, premalignant conditions of the pancreas, and for patients with a family history of cancer or inherited genetic syndrome.
- Explain the indications, uses, and contraindications for novel treatments in upper and lower GI bleeding.
- Describe the different types of bariatric surgery and endoscopic treatments for weight loss.
- Explain the potential complications and nutrition issues that can occur with bariatric surgery.
|7:00 AM||8:00 AM||Registration/Breakfast|
|8:00 AM||9:20 AM||Session 1 – Inflammatory Bowel Disease|
|Therapeutic Targets and Endpoints in IBD Care||Tasneem Ahmed, D.O.|
|Drug-induced Colitis||David Fudman, M.D.|
|Complicated Cases in IBD||Tasneem Ahmed, D.O., David Fudman, M.D.|
|9:20 AM||10:30 AM||Session 2 - Diet, Diarrhea, and Drugs|
|Functional Diarrhea – Causes and Management||Rozina Mithani, M.D., Roopa Vemulapalli, M.D.|
|Pharmacological Therapies in GI Motility Disorders||Sravanya Gavini, M.D., Rozina Mithani, M.D.|
|Diet and GI Disorders||Neha Patel, M.D.|
|10:30 AM||10:50 AM||Break|
|10:50 AM||11:45 AM||Session 3 - State of the Art/Keynote speaker – Surveillance and Management of Pancreatic Cysts|
|Surveillance and Management of Pancreatic Cysts|
Grace H. Elta, M.D.
University of Michigan Gastroenterology
|11:45 AM||1:00 PM||Lunch Reception|
|1:00 PM||2:20 PM||Session 4 - Cancer Prevention in GI|
|Preventing Cancer in Barrett’s Esophagus||Dutch S. Vanderveldt, M.D., Kerry Dunbar, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Controversies in Colon Cancer Screening||Divya Bhatt, M.D., Maria Tian, M.D.|
|Genetics and Cancer Prevention||Sara Pirzadeh-Miller, M.S., CGC|
|2:20 PM||2:35 PM||Break|
|2:35 PM||3:55 PM||Session 5 - Potpourri of GI Topics|
|New Treatments for GI Bleeding||Jorge Suarez, M.D., Filoshia Barrow, BSN, RN|
|Weight Loss Therapies – Surgical vs. Endoscopic Treatment:|
|Sara Hennessy, M.D., Benjamin Schneider, M.D.|
|Anna Tavakkoli, M.D.|
Parking: The parking garage is located adjacent to the T. Boone Pickens Biomedical Building. The garage entrance is to the right of the front building entrance. Use elevator to third floor and follow direction signs to the conference room.
Program accessibility: We accommodate people with disabilities. Please call 214-648-2166 for more information. To ensure accommodation, please register as soon as possible.
Kerry Dunbar, MD, PhD
Neha Patel, MD
Ezra Burstein, MD
Nisa Kubiliun, MD
Tasneem Ahmed, MD
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical Education for physicians.
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximumof 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Participants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 6.00 AMA
- 6.00 Attendance
- Create an account in EthosCE, online learning management system, by selecting the "create an account" link at the bottom of the page or "log-in" to your existing account.
- Return to this course page, click "Register" tab, and select the designated fee.
- In the following "checkout" pages you will verify and process your payment.
- After registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent by email.
A $25 handling fee will be deducted from cancellation refunds. Refund requests must be received by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24, 2020. No refunds will be made thereafter.